What Will You Learn?
In our tech-overloaded lives, more and more people are realising the benefit of picking up a pen again and creating something beautiful from the trained movement of their hand and how special it feels to create stylish, sometimes majestic, letters using the art form known as calligraphy. The Calligraphy Diploma Course will guide you, step-by-step, through the tools to use, the strokes to practice, and the scripts to produce to give you a well-rounded proficiency in this beautiful art form.
The Calligraphy Diploma Course begins by stepping into the past - looking at the roots of calligraphy and its purpose across the globe. This introduction includes a definition of calligraphy, specifically in terms of how it is used in the West, and the differences between both modern and classical calligraphy. You’re also supplied with a glossary of terms that you will come across during the rest of the course and throughout your career as a calligrapher.
Pens, ink and paper are the staples of any calligrapher’s toolkit but understanding why writers and artists use particular pens or prefer certain nibs is important. You’ll learn about the different types of tools calligraphers use, the ink used in different kinds of pens, and how to clean your nibs after they have been used.
With the foundations laid, you’ll move on to how to get started. Beginning with the basics, you’ll learn what you need to make your first strokes, the best way to hold the pen and why it is necessary to grip it in such a manner, tips for left-handed calligraphers, and solutions to the typical problems that new calligraphers face.
From these beginnings, the Calligraphy Diploma Course introduces you to modern calligraphy. This is a type of writing/art that is based on traditional calligraphy and is a good introduction to getting a feel for the letters and forms that you will focus on as you move on to more classic styles.
Foundational hand is an important style to have as part of your calligraphy repertoire. You’ll learn the basics of the construction of the letters in this style - moving from the easiest lettering to the most complex.
Based on the classical Latin alphabet, you’ll learn how to produce traditional Roman capital letterforms and how to group different letters together. The origins of this script are outlined, along with why it is considered to be so important and the reason you need it as part of your calligraphy skillset.
Building on your capabilities, the Calligraphy Diploma Course highlights the main characteristics of Italic script and then guides you in implementing those characteristics letter by letter. You’ll also learn where Italic calligraphy originated and how its influence remains with us in contemporary writing.
You’ll learn a little about where Gothic script came from and why it came into being. From there, you’ll get a feel for the kinds of strokes that are needed to produce this lettering effectively by taking a ‘shape by shape’, rather than ‘letter by letter’, approach.
Finishing with a flourish, the Calligraphy Diploma Course guides you through the basics of creating embellishments to plain script, with the use of flourishes. You’ll follow practical guidelines on the types of pen and nibs to use, as well as some ideas of where and how to add flourishes to your work.
It doesn’t end there, however. In addition to explaining the art, history, and practical application of calligraphy, this course also explains how to take your new skill from being an engaging hobby to a lucrative side or sole business.
You’ll learn the essentials for setting up your own business from a practical and legal standpoint, as well as figuring out the questions you need to ask yourself before you embark on this venture. You’ll discover how to go about finding clients and the best way to present your work to them.
By the end of this course you will:
- Be skilled in four of the most important classical calligraphy scripts – Foundational Hand, Roman Script (Capitals), Italic Script, and Gothic Script
- Have learned the background to each script and how they originated
- Have the foundational skills for modern calligraphy and brush hand
- Understand the tools needed for beautiful calligraphic writing
- Be capable of confidently creating the thick and thin strokes of the letter
- Know the common problems that beset new calligraphers and have solutions to overcome them
- Be able to create gorgeous flourishes to enhance your writing and work
Module 1: What is Calligraphy?
Module 2: Tools and Materials
Module 3: Getting Started
Module 4: Modern Calligraphy
Module 5: Foundational Hand
Module 6: Roman Script
Module 7: Italic Script
Module 8: Gothic Script
Module 9: Flourishes
Module 10: Turning your Calligraphy Skills into a Business
Who Would Benefit from This Course?
Designed for the complete beginner and those whose wish to learn more about this art form, the Calligraphy Diploma Course is accessible to everyone. You will particularly enjoy the course if you find yourself wishing to cast off your tech-driven life (if just for a little while) and fall in love with handcrafted, personalised artwork that may even become your next profession. Get away from the digital screen and get lost in the moment with calligraphy.
- May buy multiple vouchers
- Not valid with other offers
- Online Course only
- Voucher valid for 30 days from issue
- For enquiries email : email@example.com
To redeem your voucher please CLICK HERE
- Please make sure your basket is empty before you start. (Please "remove" any items that may be there).
- You will see a box “Apply free course code”
- Enter your voucher code (be careful not to copy and paste a space into it)
- Click “Apply”
- This will add the course(s) and reduce the price to £0.00
- Then proceed to the checkout
- If you already have an account you will be asked to sign in.
- If you do not have an account you will be asked to register.
- There is no time limit for completing the course it can be studied in your own time at your own pace
- This course will take you about 150 hours to complete working from home
- This is a Level 3 course and will give you 150 CPD (Continued Professional Development) points
- Upon successful completion you will receive two certificates. A certified diploma certificate from the Centre of Excellence and a CPD certificate displaying the number of CPD points earned on the course.
- This course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality License Scheme