Have your Swimming Pool Water Microbiologically Tested
Why should you get your swimming pool microbiologically tested?
With the summer in full swing, swimming pools are undoubtedly being used more than ever. This, combined with the high summer temperatures, increases the risk of microorganisms contaminating the water. The microbiological contamination of pool water can result in harmful microorganisms causing infections to bathers. These contaminants can be introduced into the pool water from bathers, from the pool filters or occasionally from defects in pool engineering. It is therefore important to regularly check the microbiological quality of your pool water to ensure that your pool treatment regime is sufficient to prevent this.
How often should you get your swimming pool microbiologically tested?
Private pools are sampled at the discretion of the owners but we strongly recommend that they are sampled monthly. This is especially true for during the summer months, as higher temperatures and more bathers can increase the amount of microorganisms in the water and put a strain on the pool’s treatment regime.
This deal includes the following tests:
This laboratory test will check your pool/spa/hydropool water for the presence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Coliform bacteria, E.coli , Staphylococcus Aureus and Total Viable Count (TVC) at 36°C for 48 hours.
Swimming Pools and Spas can cause outbreaks of infection such as eye and ear infection and gastro-enteritis. For these reasons swimming pool testing is required for public pools and recommended for private pools.
* E.coli and Coliform Analysis: Tests for coliform bacteria and Escherichia coli (E. coli) are the most important routine microbiological examinations carried out on water. These tests provide a sensitive means for detecting faecal contamination, the effectiveness of water treatment and disinfection, and for monitoring the quality of water.
*Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Analysis: Pseudomonas bacteria are common opportunistic pathogens that can thrive in pools and when in contact with immune compromised patients can cause a variety of illnesses such as ear and eye infections. Pseudomonas should therefore not be present in the water systems of places that have regular human contact, such as swimming pools.
*Staphylococcus Aureus: The presence of S. aureus in swimming pools has been linked to skin rashes, wound infections, urinary tract infections and eye infections. Infections are acquired through contact with bathers with purulent discharge from injuries or who are asymptomatic carriers of S. aureus. Infections of S.aureus acquired from recreational waters may not become apparent until 48 h after contact.
*Total Viable Counts (TVCs): The test for Total Viable Count (TVC) is used to determine the presence of microbiological contamination. The test identifies the presence of mesophyllic gram-negative and gram-positive organisms. TVC/Aerobic Colony Count is a basic measure of bacterial activity in a water sample. It is possible to interpret the result to indicate potential poor water hygiene issues
To ensure that the tests are carried out correctly and the results are representative, CUSTOMERS MUST CONTACT THE LAB PRIOR TO TESTING to receive instructions on the sampling procedure.
Our laboratory will provide a special sampling container in which the sample must be taken.
ONLY SAMPLES TAKEN CORRECTLY AND IN THE LABORATORY-PROVIDED CONTAINER CAN BE ACCEPTED.
The results are usually ready within 48 hours and are reported in both Greek and English. Our friendly laboratory staff can explain the results and advise you to consult with your pool maintenance technician if any results are unsatisfactory.
- CUSTOMERS MUST CONTACT THE LAB PRIOR TO TESTING TO RECEIVE INSTRUCTION ON TAKING THE SAMPLE
- ONLY SAMPLES TAKEN CORRECTLY AND IN THE LABORATORY-PROVIDED CONTAINER CAN BE ACCEPTED.
- May buy multiple vouchers as required.
- One voucher per person
- Voucher Valid for 30 days from issue
- All services must be performed in one appointment
- Please have voucher details ready when booking
- Present printed voucher at the time of your visit
- Not valid with other offers
- Multiple locations across Cyprus
- Nine years ISO 17025 accredited water testing laboratory (Cert. No. L010 – 3)
- External and internal quality controls ensure reliable test results
- Professionally qualified Greek and English personnel
Olympia K Pavlidou Laboratories
Paphos - 95 Evagoras Pallikarises Avenue. tel 26935389
Polis - 1 Arsinoe Street, shop 78, Opposite St Andrews church. Tel 26321211 99683553
Chloraka - opposite Papantoniou supermarket 99683553 99517209
Pissouri - 50 Paphos Street, Pissouri (opposite the police station) 25935389 99517209
Stephanos Pavlides Laboratory
Limassol - 38C Gladstonos Street. tel 25350015
Episkopi - (opposite Episkopiana Hotel) tel 25350015 97647061