This Freedom to Choose course will enable you to use the "Shenpa" (the Tibetan term for attachment) to break free of old habits & replace negative patterns with new positive ways of thinking.
Learn how to recognise your negative habits and replace old patterns with a more positive way of thinking. You will practice mindfulness-awareness and learn about Shenpa, which is the quality of being 'attached' and the Eight Worldly Dharmas. You will be able to release the suffering that is caused by being hooked and learn how to stop the chain reaction of shenpa to find joy and freedom.
The course is brought to you by renowned Tibetan Buddhist teacher and writer, Pema Chodron. She is a student of Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, the oldest son and lineage holder of Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche. She is helping to establish Tibetan Buddhist monasticism in the West, as well as continuing her work with western Buddhists of all traditions, sharing ideas and teachings.
This course is ideal for anyone who wishes to find more joy and freedom in life and irrevocably change the way that they live. You will recognise negative patterns of behaviour and learn to stop having negative reactions to people and circumstances in daily life. If you are interested in Buddhist teachings, meditation, and becoming more grounded then this course is for you.
Introduction to the Course
- Say hi to your fellow students & tell them why you are taking this course!
- Tell your friends and family that you are learning from Pema Chodron!
- Handout - Course Overview
- Reflection Sheet - Instructions
Session 1: The Three Difficult Practices & Positive Groundlessness
- Handout - Positive Groundlessness
- Positive Groundlessness and The Three Difficult Practices
- The Importance of Meditation
- Questions for Reflection - Positive Groundlessness
Session 2: Shenpa and the Power of the Pause
- Handout - Shenpa and the power of the pause
- Getting Hooked
- Working with Shenpa
- Questions for Reflection - Shenpa and the power of the pause
Session 3: Sewing the Seeds of Freedom
- Handout - Sewing the seeds of freedom
- Scratching the Itch
- Sitting in the Fire
- Questions for Reflection - Sewing the seeds of freedom
Session 4: Being Kind to Yourself
- Handout - Being kind to yourself
- Catching Shenpa as extremely good news
- Maitri and the Art of Lovingkindness
- Letting Go of The storyline
- Questions for Reflection - Being kind to yourself
Session 5: Choosing a Fresh Alternative
- Handout - The Practice of Meditation and its Relevance to Shenpa
- Repressing and Acting Out
- Doing Something Different
- Returning to Immediate Experience
- Questions for Reflection - The Practice of Meditation and its Relevance to Shenpa
- Includes 28 lectures and 5 hours of video content with supporting handouts & reflection sheets to complete.
- Learn from world renowned Buddhist teacher, nun & author Pema Chödrön
- Pema introduces a Tibetan term, shenpa, which refers to the quality of being “hooked” or “caught. Understand how this attachment can affect all aspects of life.
- Become more grounded, peaceful, free, and joyful by recognising & releasing negative patterns of behaviour
- Suitable for anyone who wishes to find more joy and freedom In life